Specialized skills are needed to negotiate a transaction involving the development, purchase, sale, or licensing of technology. Expertise in both intellectual property and commercial law is required, as well as business acumen and knowledge of industry best practices. Our Technology Transactions practice helps clients commercially preserve, exploit, and defend their intellectual property assets both domestically and internationally.
We assist clients in developing intellectual property and commercial strategies that protect intellectual property assets, build strong relationships, and meet their business and technology objectives.
We offer an efficient, practical, and results-oriented approach to technology transactions, including:
• Clear and concise written agreements;
• Useful and comprehensive legal advice;
• Strategic counseling in risk assessment, development of
business and licensing models, and protection of intellectual
property and technology assets; and
• Effective and cogent negotiating, with an understanding of
industry practices, common pitfalls, and creative solutions.
Our Technology Transactions attorneys have successfully represented clients in numerous technology transactions, including:
• Technology and software licensing agreements;
• IT system acquisitions;
• Trademark, copyright, and service mark agreements;
• Sales and distribution agreements (including reseller,
distributor, OEM and sales representative agreements)
• Purchase and sale of technology and other intangible
• Development and co-development agreements;
• Outsourcing agreements;
• Services agreements;
• Maintenance and support agreements;
• Strategic alliances and Collaboration agreements;
• Assignment and transfers of technology and intellectual
• Mergers and acquisitions;
• Security interests in intellectual property;
• Business contracts, equipment leases and other business
• Company organizational documents;
• Indemnification clauses and warranties;
• Joint venture and partnership contracts;
• Licensing and distribution arrangements;
• Royalty agreements;
• Shareholders’ agreements;
• Data security laws;
• Venture capital documents;
• Intellectual property management and audits; and
• Branding and marketing arrangements.
In addition to advising on intellectual property rights allocation and licensing terms, and warranties, we frequently assist clients in establishing the core business terms of their deals.
In short, we provide sophisticated assistance on intellectual property matters, no matter how complex or how challenging.